Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Past and Future lives

Once upon a time, whilst I was marooned in L.A. trying to live the Hollywood Dream, I spied a young boy sitting on a bench who looked exactly like the child I'd have had, if I had bothered to have any kids. From my grungy seat on a passing city bus, I quickly took in these specifics: he had black curly hair, yellowish-brown skin tone, large dark eyes. His full lips parted in a smile to reveal two bucked front teeth. Even though my bus took less than 30 seconds to pass him, I had the distinct feeling that he looked right at me.

The image of that little boy (whom I've dubbed "Ivan") haunted me for twenty years. His presence in my memory is the ready response to my question of whether or not I should have had kids. If I had had a boy, somehow I know he would have looked like Ivan. Two weeks ago, when I met for the first time my six year old half-sister, I encountered the corresponding feminine answer. If I'd had a girl, I imagine she'd have looked very much like Georgia.

Georgia, a late-in-life child begotten by my biological father, shares my oval face, my gap-toothed smile, my nose and chin. Her brown eyes are her mothers as is her dark wavy hair and light skin tone. However, like Ivan, I get a spooky feeling when I look at her, as if life is winking at me, letting me know that even in the wake of my willful non-procreation, biological determinism--the continuance of my paternal blood line--will rule the day.

When 42-year-old me met my almost 7-year-old sister I was pretty bowled over...but I was still somewhat readied for the encounter since I had seen pictures of her. I was ill prepared however for the shock of seeing my father...suprisingly, not because we have had so little contact over the last 25 years...but because of who he has aged into. I've watched my mother age gracefully and admired her way of advancing into her later years, clear-eyed and playful...but we don't closely resemble each other. My father on the other hand, had the stronger gene pool and there's no mistaking that I am his progeny right down to the scowls we both unconsciously sport. To see him at 70, is to see myself, is to see my paternal grandmother all commixed into one.

His spirit is also curiously familiar to me. Even at 70, he's a broody individual caught deep in the throes of life's passions...overfull of wishes and dreams he's not yet reached. From my vantage point, it would be rather easy for me to morph into such a person thirty years hence, to be someone who wears unrequited dreams on her sleeve. I will have to work very hard to avoid being as deeply wistful as I perceived him to be. The whole experience was, at the very least, a stark reminder of where I came from and where I might be going.

That's the beauty of free will. I can still change...if I want to.

~~~~~~~~~~

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Past and Future lives---And Now.
How fortunate to be young.
How fortunate to be able to afford to travel.
How fortunate to be able to spend a wee bit of time with ones aging parent and to observe their aging process.
How fortunate you've come away with the keen awareness that we are not our parents. Yes, we have their genes but up to this very moment you are where you are on the path because of free will--choices you made or agreed to.
You govern your Life...At least that has always been spirit's plan.
For me, I rise with the dawn and am glad that indeed choices, tho sometimes scarey, at times overwhelming ( or I'm feeling lazy about making), are far more delicious to have. When I didn't know this I wanted someone to draw me a map out of the mire.
What a miserable place to be, waiting for someone else to DO SOMETHING to make my Life different.
What a wonderous place to be knowing I could can make the choices and no decision is a choice.
Daily - do I choose to watch TV or read by myself. Do I call or email or handwrite a letter. On and on.

A brooding and wistful parent is one who feels stuck, and unaware, or fearful that there are no more choices to be made. There are some--not as many as far as career--but there are a few.
No matter tho. Perhaps it's the child's place now to encourage the parent.
To plant.
To sketch.
To build.
To Write.
To dream.
Ah, a verdant dream life does wonders for catapulting us up and out.
Getting older and retiring is what we were working towards. Somehow we forgot that was one of the goals and now it is time to dream up new goals.
And you also. Dream. Relax. Marvel at the characters that come across your screen. Write. Savour. Don't waste a moment.
Choose loving.
Choose fun.
Embrace change.
C'mon do it.
Why not?

4:49 PM  
Blogger Asild said...

Thanks for the comment...

They are so TRUE...especially that part about wanting someone to draw the map for me. Just getting that...

a) I'd hate anyone else's version of the map.

b) No one really wants the responsibility to draw it for me, anyway!

Thanks for dropping by.

Tia
-Trying not to waste a moment (and succeeding some of the time).

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home